Matthew E. Lundy
- Personal Injury
- Maritime Law
- Product Liability
- Mass Torts
- Class Action Litigation
Louisiana State University Law Center, Baton Rouge, Louisiana
J.D. — 1988
Millsaps College, Jackson, Mississippi
B.B.A. — 1985
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
State of Louisiana, 1988
State of Texas, 1989
Honors, Awards and Appointments
The National Trial Lawyers: Top 10 Environmental Lawyers
The National Trial Lawyers Top 100
Super Lawyer of Louisiana, 2012-2017
Litigator Award, Top 1% Lawyers, 2014-2015
Matthew Lundy is a partner of Lundy, Lundy, Soileau & South. He is a respected trial attorney with over 25 years of litigation experience.
His principal areas of practice include personal injury, maritime law, product liability (pharmaceutical drugs and medical devices), mass tort and class action.
Matt is motivated by his desire to help people that have suffered a catastrophic event. He has recovered millions of dollars in verdicts and settlements for his clients and continues to be inspired by standing up for people who need his help.
Matt Lundy commenced his career as a Law Clerk for the Honorable Earl Veron, who was the U.S. District Judge for the Western District of Louisiana, Lake Charles Division. Upon completion of his clerkship with Judge Veron he joined his brother, Hunter, at the, then-named firm of Lundy & Davis, LLP in 1989. Matt continued to work in Lake Charles until 1994 when he moved to Houston, Texas to establish the next branch of Lundy & Davis. After twelve years, Matt decided to return to Lake Charles and is a partner at the firm of Lundy, Lundy, Soileau & South.
Matt has handled a variety of cases including maritime accidents, oil field accidents, pharmaceutical litigation, medical device litigation, products liability and environmental law before state and federal courts.
Matt was appointed to the Plaintiffs’ Steering Committee in MDL 1742 In re: Ortho Evra Products Liability Litigation before the Honorable David A. Katz and presently serves on the Plaintiffs’ Steering Committee in MDL 2179 In re: Oil Spill by the Oil Rig “Deepwater Horizon” before the Honorable Carl Barbier. Matt has tried class actions, as well as individual personal injury cases. He has been named one of the National Trial Lawyers Top 100 and has been one of the Super Lawyers in Louisiana for the past four years.
Mass Tort/Class Action cases of note include:
- West, et al. vs. G&H Seed Co., et al. – Represented crawfish farmers whose crops were devastated by ICON, a pesticide used for killing rice weevils. Settlement was reached at close of Defendants’ evidence.
- Major Andrews, et al. vs. Kerr McGee – Represented a neighborhood affected by creosote contamination and obtained a $50,000,000+ settlement.
- Co-Lead Council for Kaleel, et al. vs. Division Transport, et al. – Class action involving a hazardous waste spill. Settlement was made at the close of Plaintiff’s evidence.
- Sally Comeaux, et al. vs. Vista Chemical Co., et al. – Class action regarding a neighborhood’s groundwater contamination filed in December 1995 and settled in 1998.
- Mann, et al. vs. Shell Oil Co., et al. – Appointed by the Honorable Ivan L.R. Lemelle to the Plaintiffs’ Steering Committee as Co- Chair, Expert Committee.
Matt has handled many other mass tort litigation projects that involve medical device failure, pharmaceutical litigation and contamination cases. He continues to prevail on behalf of the people he represents.
Law Clerk, Office of Earl Veron, U.S. District Judge, Western District of Louisiana, Lake Charles Division, 1988-1989
American Association for Justice
American Bar Foundation, Fellow
Louisiana Association for Justice, President
Louisiana State Bar Association
State Bar of Texas